Employee-centered staffing as part of SAP Self-Services
Staffing should guarantee in the short, medium and long term that the available employee capacities cover the current order situation or the opening hours of the company. Only if the required personnel resources are available at the right time, at the right place and in the right quality the company's goals can be achieved.
Especially in organizations with shift operations, as well as in companies with an increased interdepartmental personnel requirements, such as in production, (retail) trade, health care, the service industry or logistics, staffing is absolutely necessary and often requires direct integration with the existing SAP ERP system.
Combining company and employee interests
It is the responsibility of the human resources department to deploy employees as efficiently as possible withconscious and forward-looking staffing in order to avoid both personnel bottlenecks and overcapacities. Ideally, the personnel planning process is designed in such a way that the overriding interests of the company and the personal preferences of the employees are taken into account: A preliminary determination of personnel requirements gives both the company and the employee sufficient planning security and gives employees the opportunity to help shape their personal working hours.
Since a large number of parameters have to be taken into account and the complexity in this area will continue to increase in the future, a digital staffing system forms an essential basis for corporate success and employee satisfaction.
Our use case shows a digital and integrative solution approach based on custom programming for dm-drogerie markt, which was implemented using SAP Fiori or SAPUI5. In this scenario, staffing is created in the SAP HCM system by the employee himself (ESS) as well as by his manager or the planner in the form of a manager self-service (MSS).
General conditions and key requirements
- dm-drogerie markt operates on a store-centric basis - each store organizes itself.
- The corporate culture at dm-drogerie markt allows everyone to be involved in the staffing process. Scheduling takes into account the personal needs of the employee and the needs of the store.
- The intensive employee participation rights result in the requirement for a total of four applications that enable employees, planners and managers to plan staffing hand in hand.
- The interaction and data exchange of the applications as well as the direct integration into the existing human resources management system (SAP HCM) must be guaranteed.
1. Release of the planning period
On the basis of a day- and hour-based employee requirements calculation, the planner can manage serial attendances or, for example, add special daily info.
The release of the desired planning period with a defined return date transfers the shift planning to the employees, who schedule themselves independently up to this date based on the requirements.
2. Employees schedule themselves independently
Employees can schedule themselves for the approved planning period using the scheduling app on their smartphone.
Access via a calendar and the coloring of individual calendar days (e.g. in the case of vacation or already scheduled working times) enable simple and intuitive use.
Scheduling is made easier for the employee by the display of various key figures, the graphical representation of requirements and their coverage as well as personal information (current time balance, time off requests, qualifications).
The aim of the scheduling app is to provide employees with all the information they need to reconcile their individual working time requests with the needs of the store.
3. Review and finalization of the planning
After reaching the return date, the planner checks whether the store's requirements are sufficiently covered in the planning period.
The planner is supported by a planning summary that directly highlights certain anomalies (such as over/under coverage) .
On this basis, the planner makes any necessary corrections and finally releases the plan.
4. Final staff roster
Employees can view their approved work schedules and those of their colleagues on their smartphones.
This allows the employee to easily identify:
- When do I work on which day?
- Who is working with me on which day?
- Who will replace me after my shift?
- With whom can I swap my shift if necessary?